Sunday, February 7, 2010

Grace, gifts, and unexpected love

I know it's been awhile...
Okay, so 2 years is a bit longer than most people usually go between writing blogs, but as I have never actively pursued being normal, I guess that lapse will just have to do.

And why, you may ask, did I decide to write to the faceless internet...
well... because I needed a better way than a "thank you" card to express to everyone in my life how grateful I am for all the love and support I have received over the last few months.

Let me explain - not so long ago, my husband and I were thrilled to discover that we were going to be starting our family - read "pregnant". ( I hate the word preggo...it sounds too much like spaghetti sauce) Since then, we have been surrounded by help, love, and well-wishes. It's absolutely amazing. Anyone who thinks that we don't value life in our culture has never been an expectant mother in a big church! We have been overwhelmed with people's help. Here are some of the best examples:
1. Our friends who just had their baby last fall have been allowing us to borrow copious amounts of baby paraphernalia. Car seats, strollers, a bouncer (which I had to have explained to me), and even a pack-n-play now line my garage waiting expectantly for my delivery.

2. My parents both cried and began planning their vacation time around the delivery date. At last count, they have 3 weeks set up to come and help us learn to be parents (definitely necessary!).

3. My in-laws both cried and immediately bought plane tickets to come out and see us, which is something they hadn't done in 5 years! Since then they have both harnessed the power of SKYPE to talk regularly with us and check in with the ever-growing baby belly.

4. My ladies at school have started a "Name Suggestion Wall" in order to help celebrate the event. As other teachers pass through, they are actively solicited to add their suggestions and laugh at other peoples. While I can't say this is completely helpful (suggestions currently include Espn, Superman (because every boy thinks he is at 15), and Thor), it is so nice to feel valued and a part of the group!

This lists could go on. Let's just suffice to say that I am very, very thankful for all the love everyone has shown us, and I am learning everyday about what giving and generosity are from the wealth of it that I see and experience. THANK YOU ALL!!!

No comments: